Friday, November 4, 2011

Christmas Garland #2


I made this ornament using a Jenni Bowlin Studio chipboard bird for the base. It can be hung as an ornament or strung on a garland or hung in the middle of a wreath or from a door knob, whatever you can think of. I've told you how much I love that Cabbage Flower (damask) stamp so I took the opportunity to use it again here to add pattern to my bird. I stamped on a sheet of cream paper, with Chili Powder Ink, then traced the bird shape over a spot where I thought the pattern would fit well onto the bird body. I like that the pattern doesn't cover the entire bird, I don't know why, I just do : )




I punched a small hole with my Crop-a-dile to add a JBS Rhinestone Brad for the eye. I also backed the brad with a vintage metal finding. I used THIS video tutorial from Jenni on how to make the flower except I used sheet music instead of tissue paper. I backed the flower with tinsel wire rope/trim (that I've seen in craft stores in the holiday crafts section, the kind you see on Victorian ornaments) that I stretched out and twisted all around the back of the flower. Next I layered a JBS chip button with a black doily and another JBS Christmas chip button. I covered the little bird wing in Jenni's black polka dot paper and also added a little banner cut from a piece of her new red/black line paper. See supply list for details.



The sentiment on the bottom is from the Christmas 2011 paper. I cut a few pieces of the same shape from cardstock and layered it for stability. I inked the edges with Chili Powder Ink.I was out jump rings of so I had to make my own with gold wire. I think I ended up liking that better, maybe it looks a little more handmade. I used Jenni's bead dangles on my links. I had to get a little creative on how I did the hooks on the back. The first hook is the gold wire wrapped around the back of the rhinestone brad. The second gold wire was looped in the back and stapled from the front. I used the bird wing to hid the staple.

I wish I had an entire little bottlebrush tree of JBS ornaments! I'll need to get to work on that : )










Supply List:
Bird Chipboard
Chipboard Buttons - Red Line
Chipboard Buttons - Vintage Christmas
Clear Stamp - Cabbage Flower
Decorative Brads - Rhinestone
Doily Flowers - Black
Haven - Accessory Sheet
Pearl & Rhinestone Charms - Black
Pearl & Rhinestone Charms - Cream
Christmas 2011 - Accessory Sheet (also found in the project kit this month)


Red & Black Extension 4 Paper - Inkwell (available in the main kit this month)
Chili Powder Ink


Ink Blending Tool